Here is what everyone should be working on this weekend with their parents.
For all choir members! Please plan to join us for this year’s choir camp! The dates are Thursday, August 29th from 4-7 pm, and Friday, August 30th from 1-5 pm.
On Thursday, please meet in the choir room at the high school with a sack lunch (for dinner) and comfortable clothes. We will enjoy some singing time (with Dr. Brown) and some activity time lead by our amazing Choir Council! After our last session on this night, hang around for an ice cream social sponsored by our wonderful choir boosters. New members of Concert Choir for 2019 should plan to meet with their section leaders from 3:30 – 4:00 for new member induction on this day.
On Friday, August 30, plan to meet at the Courthouse Athletic Club (Battlecreek location). Today we will have some activity/singing from 1-2 pm then the pool will be open to us from 2-4. After pool time, the boosters will once again feed us (hot dogs, chips, etc) and then those who wish may then go up to the school for the Varsity Football game.
If you wish to go to the game with us you will need to bring $5 to get in. In addition, we are happy to help coordinate rides for students who don’t drive but the game is not an “official” part of Choir Camp and we can’t accept any responsibility for students who are getting rides. If parents wish they may pick their students up at the Courthouse and drive them up to the school and pick them up after the game.
Come for part or come for all – it is going to be a fun two days! It will help us tremendously if students who wish to participate can let Dr. Brown know by sending an email with your name and a #1 – Ice Social, #2 – Pre Game Dinner, or #3 – both in the body of the email.
Congratulations to all who auditioned! Click the link and look for your student ID.
Choir auditions for the 2019 – 2020 school year have now been scheduled! These auditions are for all choirs with the exception of Framework (please see the announcement on the webpage). Any student who has successfully completed at least one semester of any choir may audition for placement in a choir of their choosing. Here are the audition dates and requirements:
- Current Concert Choir members only – each returning member must go through an audition to be considered for the following year. Auditions for returning CC members will take place May 28-31 from 2:30 – 4:30 each day. Students seeking an audition must use the Charms calendar and/or this link provided to schedule an individual audition time. No exceptions! Each student should come prepared to do the following:
- All other choir members – auditions will be held during class time from May 30 – June 7. Students will audition in alphabetical order individually in my office.
- Sing a short solo of your choosing – this can be a folk song, art song, patriotic, musical theater, etc. I encourage students to stay away from popular music for this audition.
- Identify 2-3 key signatures and give reasons for your choices.
- Sightsinging – level 3 on SightReading Factory.com
- Rhythm reading – level 3 on SRF
- have a short discussion that allows you to grade your effort and progress in choir this past year and assess where you feel you will be best served next year.
Students interested in practicing/preparing for their audition ahead of time can use the following resources:
- Sightsinging – here is a set of examples that you can use to practice
- Rhythm reading
The first consideration for placement in choir at Sprague is how is the student best served. I hope that your preparation and audition are enjoyable parts of your work in the Sprague Choir program.
If you love singing, you should consider joining OSU’s Summer Choir Camp! It’s a great activity and you will learn a lot! Click the link to get more information including registration.